Wednesday, August 8, 2012

NEPAL 080312: Nepal in My Heart, a Reflection

OK folks.

Here it is August 2, and I am still trying to finish an email for you that I started on June 4th.  It’s about why our trip to Nepal was so meaningful for me.  At this point I have been home for 3.5 months.

Marian, dear, what is going on? Where is your final email for us about Nepal?

Well, some of those 100 or so days since we returned I used to get over jet lag and the trek cold, re-write the lost trek emails, take a class on Chekov’s SEAGULL, go on a 5-night meditation retreat, throw parties for Dick’s mom on Mother’s Day and her Birthday, attend grandson Patrick Pham’s high school graduation in Kent, WA, show Paula van Deventer, her daughter Titia and grandsons Herman and Dirk around the northern Sacramento valley, celebrate my 68th birthday 8 times, and “host” friends for theater in Ashland.

But still, one must ask, “Why are you still thinking and writing about Nepal?


It’s not that I haven’t tried to answer this question.  As of July 22, members of my Monday afternoon writing group had patiently listened to me read and thoughtfully commented on over 5,366 words of revisions to my June 4 draft (white pages in picture). I even resorted to Natalie Goldberg’s writing exercises (yellow pages) to help extract ideas from my recalcitrant grey matter. 

Evidence of efforts to answer “Marian, why are you still in Nepal?”
My writing group friends did say that writing the sort of piece I’ve wanted to make for you often requires some time and a bit of distance from the experience.  And so, I’ve been reflecting on some questions to define why my trip to Nepal was unique. 

Was it my cool technology?
My sweet little iPhone, its nifty keyboard, and the WiFi connections that were everywhere except, not surprisingly, on the trek were a joy to work with.  Did Nepal make me proud to be a real 21st century tekkie?
Marian’s iPhone, keyboard, and paper journal technology.
Or . . . was it the product of that technology?
Specifically, was it the connection between you and me friends at home who encouraged me to send more emails?  Was Nepal about receiving your ego-soothing accolades? 

Well, actually, no.  These things are all true, but they’re not quite it, really, though writing on my tekkie toys was fun, and late in the trip these “toys” delivered some very welcome news from home.

Was the “specialness of Nepal” a medication side effect?
Well, I did take 600mg of ibuprofen three times a day for my knees and the occasional bedtime soma for leg cramps on the trek, but, again, that’s not it either.   

Was it the exotic spices in the delicious and abundant Indian food?

Now Marian, STOPPIT! Now you are really getting too silly!

Well OK . . . I’ll get serious.

Maybe what made this trip special is what DID NOT happen?
            None of us who travelled together fell for a scam -- like camel drivers trying to charge us twice for a ride up a Moroccan sand dune, or complained about infrastructure inconveniences – such as Kathmandu’s daily electrical outages, or whined that because of a province-wide strike they had to ride in a rustic pony cart for hours over dirt roads to “transfer” to the airport, or required high-end pre-dinner beverages -- a bottle of Chardonnay before every dinner, or had to have center stage every evening to boast that they had photographed the biggest elephant or got closest to the leopard in the tree, or was obliged to wait while others shopped for GOLD!, or was embarrassed by their compatriots bargaining down the price of already cheap souvenirs, or needed to know if we had a yacht as long as their yacht before they could converse with us at dinner.  Our trip was free of the high-maintenance companions Dick and I’ve met on other trips.

So, OK, Marian, this is nice, but it still does not really get us to an answer, does it? 

No, but looking at what did not happen helped me realize that this was a true spiritual journey. Things that didn’t happen helped me open up to receive Nepal’s gifts in my heart. 

And, the list helped remind me that I was different.

Since 2005 I have been a student and practitioner of Buddhist teachings brought to the US from south Asia during the 1970’s and 80’s.  About seven months before leaving for Nepal, I entered a formal relationship with a teacher who had been trained in both this tradition and in Tibetan Buddhism. My teachers have advised me to practice loving-kindness meditation, one of the ten “perfections of the heart” of Buddhist practice. Although just a beginner, using this practice I have become more open and receptive, less judgmental, quieter inside, and more connected to what is happening around me.  When I’m feeling cranky, I’m more likely to think “Oh, that’s interesting,” rather than blame someone for ticking me off or feed a grumpy rumination.  That’s probably not very impressive, but, as I said, compared to other trips, it helped make this trip more about the life of the spirit. My dharma studies also made me curious to experience life in Boudha, an area of Kathmandu where many Tibetan refugees live.

In the two months before our departure, Dick’s oldest and dearest friend – a guy who introduced himself at Dick’s mom’s 90th birthday party as “Her other son.”—had three violent seizures, lost the ability to read, and was diagnosed with a fast-growing, highly invasive, and inoperable brain cancer.  The day before we flew to Nepal, this closest of friends began aggressive treatments that, we prayed, would extend his life beyond the “few weeks” of his oncologist’s estimate.  Dick and I began this trip in a state of shock and emotional vulnerability that we’d never felt before:  a cherished friend with whom we had shared 3/4 of our lives with might not be alive when we returned.  We were also unsure if we could get news of Dean while we were gone.

On our flight to Kathmandu, I practiced a loving-kindness meditation from Jack Kornfield’s A PATH WITH HEART: May I (you) be filled with loving-kindness, may I (you) be well, may I (you) be peaceful and at ease, may I (you) be happy. I pictured myself as the vulnerable little girl I felt like and repeated the “I” phrases.  I visualized Dean and each of his relatives and friends.  I repeated the “you” phrases for each of them. I fell asleep saying the phrases.  I woke up to say them some more.  My “loving-kindness-for-Dean list” was quite long, but so was the flight.  As we west across the Pacific and through that elongated night I grew more quiet and relaxed.

Practicing this loving-kindness meditation moved me into a mental state that was utterly unlike the emotionally tender and teary mind state in which I had planned and packed.  My choosing clothes and fitting them into a suitcase was often interrupted by outbursts of sobbing that sent my cats, who were “helping,” diving under the bed.  More than once as I packed I wondered whether taking this trip was actually unconscionable with our dear friend’s life now possibly measured in weeks.  On the flight, I did recall that he had just sent us off with his blessing.  For the moment, and for the flight, I was at peace.

Dean coloring with granddaughter Delphine at breakfast on the day of our departure.

Our dear friends Karma and Donna were terrific traveling companions.

            In addition to me being different from my meditation and dharma practice and Dean’s cancer leaving us vulnerable, our friends Karma and Donna were simply perfect companions.

Karma Ganzler first went to Nepal in 1973.  He fell in love with the country and its people and has returned a dozen times to lead treks and study tours.  He spent a year in the mid-70’s studying the Nepali language and receiving dharma instructions with a Tibetan Rinpoche.  Karma was inspired to return last summer when he learned that his old teacher was to give a four-day course in early April 2012. Karma asked Jawane Tamang, who had been a young kitchen boy on a trek with him and Donna, to be our guide.

            Karma’s wife Donna Barnett fell in love with him two decades ago on a Himalayan trek that he led. They have returned to Nepal together several times since. Like Karma, Donna is a long-time meditation practitioner and dharma student.  Together they made a film, “To Touch and Be Touched, a Buddhist Pilgrimage,” as they visited Buddhist holy sites seeking to understand her 22-year old daughter Holly’s death.  Donna and Karma, whose oldest friend Ron died last year, know what it is so lose someone dear and easily included us and our grief over Dean’s cancer in their sphere of compassion.

We four also had fun.  We travelled comfortably together.  We connected in a real way -- understanding the preciousness and impermanence of life and the rare opportunity of this trip. Dick and Karma are passionate photographers, so they were happy to be capturing images side-by-side.   Donna and I are good at sharing stories and laughing together.  Unlikely as it may seem, we four never tired of having three meals and conversations together each day, a ritual we all missed when we found ourselves back home.

In Nepal spiritual practice is not separate from daily life.
 
               In Boudha every morning and evening devoted Buddhists circumnavigate 
the great stupa, spinning prayer wheels and chanting the Tibetan mantra 
OM MANI PADME HUM. This mantra has been interpreted to mean that, through 
practice, anyone can transform their ordinary body, speech, and mind into the 
pure body, speech, and mind of a Buddha. It was a powerful experience for me 
to walk around this magnificent stupa with 200-300 other devotees and chant 
this affirmation that everyone has a discoverable “Buddha nature” inside.
 
Nearly everywhere, and especially in the city centers, we saw Hindus making their daily puja, a prayerful offering for the health and safety of their family.  In Patan on April 1, I asked our city guide to help me make a puja for my friend Ann at a shrine of Ganesh, the elephant-headed god, who is a “remover of obstacles” and has a reputation for bringing good luck. We bought the necessary incense, marigold garland, candles, and special pastry, and he gently showed me how to use them in the puja:  set the candles at the base of the statue and light them, break the pastry and put the pieces on Ganesh’s feet and the tip of his trunk, light the incense and draw three big circles in front of the statue and state my hopes for Ann’s successful surgery, and, lastly, place the marigold garland over Ganesh’s head. I instinctively bowed. I had no idea what to expect after completing this exotic ritual, but I was happily surprised by the joy that ran through me as I walked back to where Dick, Donna, Karma, and Jawane waited. 

The Nepalis we met were relaxed, welcoming, and caring.

            From Karma’s friend Tsering’s family in Boudha, to monks, waiters, students at the Rinpoche’s school, our guides and porters, folks we stopped to ask for directions, people we met on the trail, to the staff at the trekking lodges, we found the Nepalis to be hospitable, kind, and playful.  Our guide Jawane and his porters and helpers were particularly attentive.  Jawane treated Karma with the respect and tenderness most of us reserve for our precious grandparents.  Jawane’s team reached out to help us.  We didn’t have to ask them to carry our gear. 

The friendly and spirited women who cooked at the Heaven View Guest House in Banthanti invited Donna into their kitchen to learn to make momos.  They offered each of us a glass of raksi – a Nepalese firewater distilled from rice wine -- that we happily sipped as we kibitzed around the kitchen fire.  Two days later when Donna plopped down next to a Nepalese grandma cleaning green beans next to the trail, she was welcomed with a smiling acceptance of her impromptu offer to help with lunch preparations. 

One event from the trip can embody all that was most important for me in Nepal

            Three weeks ago I was telling my friend Maryanne about my efforts to write this email for you, and she asked if there was one event that captured everything that was important about Nepal for me. I thought for a moment and chose the puja that we made for Dean on the trek.  From my first backpacking trip at thirteen, I have felt a sacred quality and felt inspiration in the mountains.  So, when I thought about the comfort of making Ann’s puja, I decided to offer a puja in the mountains for the success of Dean cancer therapy. Because he loves plants and has devoted his life to caring for them -- both at home and professionally -- I thought we would find the right spot in the rhododendron forest I had read about. When we climbed into a large clearing bordered by majestic rhododendron trees in full bloom and with a monumental stone porters’ resting bench in its center, we had found a splendid place for dean’s puja.
Other trekkers had placed rhododendron branches laden with red and dark pink blossoms on the upper level of the stone “altar.”  When we explained that we wanted to make a puja here, Jawane and his helpers immediately added more branches and helped with the preparations.  I retrieved some candles and incense from my daypack.  Jawane came to my aid with a cigarette lighter and got the candles and incense burning. Dick and I held the smoking sticks of incense, drew circles in front of the candles among the blossoms, and spoke our wishes for Dean and his family.  We passed the incense to Donna and Karma who made their pujas.  We four hugged tearfully as Jawane and his team looked on with warm understanding:  an impromptu forest puja was a most normal thing to do in Nepal. 

Marian and Dick draw circles with incense at Dean’s Rhododendron Forest puja.
Dean’s puja was my symbol for how Nepal grew into my more-tender-than-usual heart. It combined our concern for our dear friend with the deep companionship of Donna and Karma and the support of our Nepali trekking team. We used a ritual whose importance I had begun to understand on this trip. The natural beauty of the Himalayas and the setting among flowering trees added another layer of blessing.  That we made this offering during a challenging uphill hike brought the pleasure of physical exertion and feeling of accomplishment of the trek into the puja. This emotionally rich event contained all the elements of human connection and natural beauty that made Nepal take root in my heart.

And . . .
            So, Marian, what about your “tekkie toys” that let you connect to your friends at home that you mentioned at the outset in this email?
I have to say that they allowed me to create a delicious sort of “electronic icing” on the “cake” of my Nepal experiences: they made it possible share my experiences and receive your happy feedback.  AND, more importantly, when, after our trek, we returned to the land of WiFi on April 13, we could receive Dean’s joyous email: “I am SO MUCH BETTER than when you left. Doctors are talking in terms of months, not weeks. I can read again.” Our puja prayers had been answered. A great weight was lifted. Dean would be alive when we returned and for many months thereafter.

My writing group buddies had said that to write this email for you would take some time and distance from Nepal.  It did, but that passage of time has also allowed me to tell you that it was visiting Dean in July that woke me up to the role his illness played in opening me to my experiences in Nepal.  Dean is still sick, and he takes more naps with his cat Violet. He has some speech and language troubles, but he has been able to invest his gift of time with friends and family.  His son and daughter and their husbands have worked to relieve Dean of his greatest concern: to assure that his wife will be well cared for when he is gone.

Dean and his cat Violet take a nap on the family room couch.
Thank you for letting me share this trip with you.  Namaste, Marian  

No comments:

Post a Comment